The History of Sheffield Golf Club
Sheffield was one of the first places in Tasmania to have a golf course. By the late 1890's the club was well established with a course on the corner of Main Street and West Kentish Road. This was the longest lasting course of the four established before Badger Heights.
The Badger Heights Course
Key Dates in the Formation of the Club
Mid 1976 - Neil Denney and friends call a meeting to identify interest in a golf course in Sheffield
6 Sep 1976 - A public meeting was held and the Sheffield Golf Club was formed with 30 Foundation Members
Dec 1976 - A trial game is held over 6 holes amongst log heaps and other hazards
Early 1977 - The first clubhouse (a disused building from the Gowrie Park Hydro village) is placed near the 9th green.
21 March 1977 - First Annual General Meeting
Apr 1977 - First official game played on 6 completed holes (current holes 1-4, 8-9)
Mar 1978 - First Tandara Fundraiser held
May 1979 - Club granted affiliation by NTGA with 9 holes open for play.
The club is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the founding of the club on 6 September 2026.